The End by which God Chose us
Grace alone is the efficient cause of salvation. Justification by Faith alone is the material cause of the reformation but its formal cause is Scripture alone. Justification by faith is just a shorthand of Justification by Christ alone, because it is not our faith that justifies, it’s the object of our faith that justifies. But they are not an end in of itself, they’re just a means to an end, the final cause of the reformation, and our salvation, is the Glory of God alone. The reformers’ protest is not just academic, and theological, it is worship and doxological.
Logical Relationships : T, Id/Exp, G, Ac/Mn, Ac/Pur
- Temporal A statement and the occasion when it is true or can occur. Answers the question when.
- Idea – Explanation The relationship between a main idea and another explaining or clarifying its meaning. The clarifying proposition may expound on only one word of the associated arc or its entirety.
- Ground A main proposition and the argument or reason that supports it. Answers the question why in the sense of evidence for something, or the cause or reason for something,
- Action – Manner An action and a more precise statement indicating the way or manner in which the action is carried out. Answers the question how.
- Action – Purpose An action and a distinct statement describing its purpose or intent. Answers the question why in the sense of goal or end
Election, predestination, justification, sanctification and glorification, all points to God’s own glorification. Everything that God does, he does purposefully. He is not capricious. He does everything with a goal in mind, namely for his own name sake. Election, predestination, justification, sanctification and glorification, all points to God’s own glorification. And what’s the climax of that glory? Where does the glory of God shines the most? It’s in the cross of Christ Jesus and his grace. That’s what makes the light of the reformation shines the most, because it is the recovery of the glorious gospel that was eclipsed by the traditions of men.
A blessed Reformation Day to everyone! Soli Deo Gloria!